Delicate in flavor but with a texture similar to bread pudding, these individual cakes may be dressed up with any fresh fruit, fruit sauce, or even plain whipped cream. If you prefer, substitute fresh or frozen strawberries for the cranberries in the sauce; reduce the sugar slightly.
Warm Lemon- Lavender Cakes
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon ground dried lavender
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 3 cups reduced-fat (2 percent) milk
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup oat bran
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- LEMON-CRANBERRY SAUCE
- 1 lemon
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice (1 orange)
- 1 cup natural cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced fresh or dried cranberries
- WHITE CHOCOLATE CREAM (OPTIONAL)
- 1/3 cup half-and-half
- 4 ounces white chocolate, broken into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 325 ̊. In a small saucepan, melt butter and bring to a gentle boil (do not burn); add lemon zest, lavender, and honey and whisk well. Remove from heat and let sit until cool, at least 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together cooled lemon-butter mixture, milk, and beaten eggs. In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, oat bran, baking powder, and salt. Form a well in dry ingredients and slowly whisk in wet ingredients until smooth. Butter ten 1⁄2-cup ramekins; fill each with batter. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for about 25 minutes, or until cakes are set when shaken.
- To make sauce: Cut lemon lengthwise into eight wedges. Remove seeds and peel. Slice lemon flesh crosswise into 1⁄4-inch triangular slices and combine in a medium saucepan with lemon juice, orange juice, sugar, and rosemary, plus a generous pinch of salt. Bring to a boil; then reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes. Stir in cranberries and remove from heat. (Sauce can be stored in the fridge; warm before serving.)
- If using white chocolate cream, in a small pan bring half-and-half to a gentle boil. Remove from heat and whisk in white chocolate until smooth.
- To serve: Warm cakes gently in 250 ̊ oven (or microwave briefly). Run a knife around ramekins’ inside edges; remove cakes onto serving plates. Top with warm fruit sauce and drizzle with white chocolate cream, if using.
Warm Lemon- Lavender Cakes
Amount Per Serving
Calories 331 Calories from Fat 72
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8g 12%
Saturated Fat 5g 25%
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 3g
Cholesterol 76mg 25%
Sodium 362mg 15%
Total Carbohydrates 59g 20%
Dietary Fiber 2g 8%
Protein 7g 14%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Per Serving: 331 cal, 8g fat (3g mono, 1g poly, 5g sat), 76mg chol, 7g protein, 59g carb, 2g fiber, 362mg sodium