Veggies and dip are a healthy road trip staple, perfect for snacking, pit stops, or appetizers. Take them a step further in this recipe, inspired by Vietnamese-style salad rolls. Paired with a spicy peanut sauce, they’re packed with carrots, crunchy broccoli, cashews, and a hint of mint. They’re hearty enough for a lunchtime picnic or anytime you need a little something to keep you going.
Wrap and roll
It’s easier to wrap the rolls if you lay butter lettuce on the wrapper so the leaf’s central vein is parallel to the countertop edge closest to your body. This way, when you roll the wrap away from you, you won’t be rolling against that crisp central vein. As you roll, gather side edges toward the center, tucking them in as you do. If the wrap tears, rather than re-roll, just roll it in a second wrapper.
- 3 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 1/2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp tamari
- 4 tbsp water or more as required
- 1/2 tsp grated gingerroot
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and crushed
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 rice paper wrappers
- 18 Fresh mint leaves
- 4 radishes thinly sliced
- 8 butter lettuce leaves
- 5 broccoli florets thinly sliced
- 24 in cashews pulsedfood processor to pea-sized pieces
- 2 medium carrots cut into matchsticks
- 1 cup Baby spinach leaves
- In small bowl, combine peanut butter, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, and tamari. Add water, a little at a time, and mix slowly with a fork or spoon to gradually loosen the stiff peanut butter mixture. Once sauce is smooth, if you want a looser consistency, add more water, a teaspoon at a time. Once you’re happy with the consistency, add gingerroot, garlic, and red pepper flakes; mix through, and then pack into a sealable container.
- To assemble rolls, first set out a clean cutting board for your workspace. Fill a wide, shallow bowl with hot (not boiling) water and, working quickly, soften one wrapper in water and lay it on your cutting board. Place 3 mint leaves and 3 radish slices on wrapper. Add lettuce, fill with cashews, a few slices of broccoli, and a few carrot matchsticks, and finally spinach. Roll tightly and repeat with remaining wrappers until you have 8 rolls. See tip for more wrapping advice.
- Pack in a sealable container, keep cold, and eat within 24 hours with spicy peanut sauce.
Per serving: 375 calories; 12 g protein; 22 g total fat (4 g sat. fat); 37 g total carbohydrates (6 g sugars, 4 g fiber); 174 mg sodium