This main dish salad features quinoa, an ancient Inca grain. High-protein quinoa cooks in 15 minutes, so it's great for fast meals.
Machu Picchu Platter
- 1 cup quinoa, well rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2-3 scallions, minced
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 1 tablespoon apple cider
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- 1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- Black olives and red bell pepper strips, for garnish
- Boil 2 cups water in a saucepan. Add the quinoa and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. When done, fluff with a fork and transfer to a bowl. Combine quinoa with corn, lemon juice, olive oil, scallions, and salt and pepper to taste.
- While the quinoa cooks, in a second bowl combine black beans, tomato, apple cider, parsley or cilantro, and pepper to taste.
- To assemble Machu Picchu Platter, spread quinoa salad evenly on a platter. Leave a well in the center and mound bean salad into the well. Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds. Arrange olives and pepper strips around the edge.